Early spring 2009, Keith called me one morning to tell me that he saw a job posting in Seattle. Was it OK for him to put in for this job? Sure. I had finally come to terms with the reality of living in Virginia for the remainder of Keith’s time in the CG and didn’t think the CG would move Keith across the country when his current tour wasn’t even over yet. Was I wrong! It all happened so quickly. I felt excitement about moving back to the west coast and being closer to my family, but I dreaded the idea of leaving my friends and starting over again. Change is hard. There were times that I cried and thought I just couldn’t do it. There were times that I dreamed of a new life and was hopeful for what was to come. Finally, I put my game face on and helped make the change happen.
In June, we packed our bags, we sold our house – the one we lived in for almost ten years, and moved across county. Keith drove his truck in record time – 3 days. The girls and I flew to Oregon and Keith met us there. We spent time with Dad and Mary in Portland as well as down at the river at Tim and Krista’s house. Although we loved spending lazy days at the river, spending time with family, and eating fabulous meals, we were anxious to get settled. Keith left Oregon early for work, but once the house was ready for us to move in, the girls and I left for our new home.
We now live on Bainbridge Island in Washington. I’m in love the small town feeling I get when I walk to the library, the charm of the craftman homes, the lush greenery, and the responsibility people have to support the community. I’m home.